3-30-02 Warfield, SF

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Setlists and Reviews: Phil Lesh & Friends: 2002: Four Winds Tour - Spring 2002: 3-30-02 Warfield, SF
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike M (Philphan1) (152.163.207.183) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 12:14 am: Edit Post

we have a setlist or anything for tonite yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dewit (Dewit) (205.188.193.34) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 02:15 am: Edit Post

Jam->Casey Jones->Pride of Cucamonga->Roadrunner->Broken Arrow->No More Do I->Rider

Crude, but here goes. Not confirmed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael russo (Triptanite) (63.212.142.169) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 07:04 am: Edit Post

wow - where is everybody.. lot's of new stuff - how's the new tunes n' things folks???

phil has the best band on the planet.. wish i was there to see it NOW!!!

love is real in 2002!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Psychcircus) (64.92.78.185) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 10:01 am: Edit Post

Wasn't @ the show (bummer)...but here's what setlist.com says:

03/30/02 Warfield Theatre - San Francisco, CA

Set 1: Jam> Casey Jones > Jam > Dark Star Jam > Pride Of Cucomonga > Road Runner > Broken Arrow > No More Do I > I Know You Rider

Set 2: Jam > I Am The Walrus > Millenium Jam > The Eleven > Leave Me Out Of This > Terrapin Station > Caution > Lovelight, E: Aiko Aiko > Liberty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zimi Ahzrix (Olompali4) (64.12.101.151) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 10:18 am: Edit Post

I read that Terrapin was the Full version and the Caution lyrics were sung...C'mon Lefties..REPORT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dewit (Dewit) (152.163.206.213) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 10:26 am: Edit Post

Check out the setlist from the homepage of Philzone.com...

Set 2: Jam>
I Am the Walrus>
Millenium Jam>
The Eleven>
*?Again and Again (RB)>
Caution (*with words)>
Lovelight
E: ^Aiko-Aiko>
Liberty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Baxter (Helpontheway) (66.109.254.56) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

all reviews can be found at philzone.org :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By midyswel (Mightyswell) (66.57.102.31) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 11:57 am: Edit Post

Road Runner? (that coyote is really a crazy clown) Curioser and curioser. Happy Bunny day ever'one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rastacruz (Rastacruz) (64.12.102.173) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 12:55 pm: Edit Post

Where'd that Terrapin come from?

peace & bunny day...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill (Manas) (209.247.244.131) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 01:38 pm: Edit Post

It was the full Terrapin (including Lady with a Fan).......Set 2 had Traveling Band towards the begining

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pphunk (Thankyouphil) (63.49.225.130) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 03:11 pm: Edit Post

All this setlist stuff is great, BUT....

The burning question is, WHO WON THE ROLL ON WESTERN REGIONAL ROLL OFF?!?! Perhaps nobody can remember? In that case, I'd have to say it must have been a very succesful event!

Happy Ether, y'all! Looks like a couple of smokin shows, can't wait for some reviews!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thom Nelson (Murugan) (63.193.120.53) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 03:42 pm: Edit Post

Got to the show at 7:15 thinking I could just slip in quickly, but there was a line around the corner, moving very slowly. Pretty thorough security check, but no hassles for the usual stuff...

Standard opening jam melted into Casey Jones, high energy out of the gate. Casey dropped right into a spacey psychedelic jam which somehow congealed into Pride of Cucomonga. Another spacey jam in the middle of Pride; I don't remember them breaking it up like this before. Don't know how they got to Road Runner, but it was hot -- Warren owns this tune. Broken Arrow was standard but good. Couldn't catch the groove in No More Do I -- too new for me. Rider brought it all together and got everyone dancing again to end the first set on a high note.

Second set was amazing; started with yet another spacey jam (they are all different, just no discernable theme) into Walrus, unexpected opener but actually worked really well, since they really rock this one. Millenium jam is always sweet, but into The Eleven was extra nice. The new tune, Again and Again, was sung by WH, RB, and Phil, with parts in quick succession, very unusual song, but it might grow on people. Caution (with words!!) was sick -- RB did the Pigpen part, sounded cool. It seemed like they really want to congeal this into a real song, it seemed to be arranged differently than, for example, 2/18/01. Lovelight was also amazing with another sick spacey jam sandwiched in the middle. Seemed like kind of a short set, but packed with goodies.

Aiko Aiko is a great tune for Phil's band, this will be a welcome addition to the setlists as a good solid dance tune. Liberty is also a rocker, with very poignant lyrics for our times. Great way to end the Warfield run. Overall, Warren and Jimmy's guitar playing get better and better, Phil and Molo are a powerhouse, Barracco is a master on the keys. The harmonies and individual vocals also get better and better. I also noticed that taken as a whole, about half the show could really be characterized more as avant-garde jazz than as rock and roll; Phil is freeing himself and the band up to do some new, interesting musical exploration beyond just covering Dead songs.

Phil really emphasized in his rap -- this band will be around for a while (which I guess is obvious at this point).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Mikkelsen (Rmikkel) (205.188.200.41) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 06:47 pm: Edit Post

I'll second Thom's review, and add I thought "Again and Again" could make a durable summer dance anthem, with it's line along the lines "I'll live the life I love and love the life I live." I wonder whether Liberty will be released as a single from the album? A lot of the jams last night in the first set seemed deep in the Dark Star space. Also, listening to that hot hot Caution made me think Rob and Warren kind of divide the Pigpen vocal legacy. Rob did great on the voodoo stuff, and Warren handles the Motown-soul stuff ("Lovelight") so well. Thanks for the ticket Sean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joel Williams (Brewerjoel) (12.81.97.116) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 08:01 pm: Edit Post

The "I'll live the life I love and love the life I live." line was from Roadrunner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LessThan (Lessthan) (162.33.155.185) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 08:02 pm: Edit Post

That sounds abit like the line from (I'm a)Road Runner.

[head still spinning from setlist selection and I wasn't even there]

:):):):):):):):):):)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill (Manas) (166.90.45.45) on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 09:25 pm: Edit Post

Ok, but check me please, i was "downloading" in the men's room and i heard towards the begining a rockin tune that when i came back was told was "Traveling Band" the CCR song. Plz deny or confirm......this was towards the begining of set 2 SATURDAY NIGHT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Mikkelsen (Rmikkel) (205.188.200.31) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:44 am: Edit Post

Thanks for the clarification on Roadrunner - guess some cross-mojonations zapped my memory. I'll be listening for it again -- it seemed like a good new rave-up. Also, in response to the question, I never heard any Traveling Band on Saturday night, tho Warren quoted a lot of various riffs as usual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Franklin (Frankl) (65.58.60.21) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 02:01 am: Edit Post

Is that the same Roadrunner the Who covered in concert?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zimi Ahzrix (Olompali4) (64.12.101.151) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 08:42 am: Edit Post

Roadrunner
(Holland, Dozier, Holland)
Money, who needs it
Let me live a life free and easy
Put a toothbrush in my hand
Let me be a travelling man
I'm a roadrunner, baby

Roadrunner
Roadrunner

I'm a road runner baby, can't stay in one place too long
I'm a road runner, you might look at me and I'll be gone

Well you can love me if you wanna
But I do declare
When I get restless
I got to move somewhere

Yes, I'm a road runner baby, anywhere's my home
And I love the life I live
And I'm gonna live the life I love
Roadrunner baby

Roadrunner
Roadrunner

Don't want no woman to tie me down
Gotta be free baby to roam around
All my life I've been like this
You can love me at your own risk
When the dust hits my shoes
I got the urge to move

'Cause I'm a road runner baby, gotta keep on, keepin' on
And I live the life I love
And I'm gonna love the life I live
Roadrunner baby

Roadrunner
Roadrunner
Jobete Music Co Ltd / EMI

Weir sings it alot as well as a myriad of artists

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LessThan (Lessthan) (162.33.155.185) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 09:09 am: Edit Post

no it is not the same as the who.
That is another song by BO Diddely that does not apply quite so well to our situation.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Melvin (Thom) (128.175.82.175) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 10:13 am: Edit Post

Roadrunner was a staple in Weirs' early offshoot bands (don't know if RatDog does it) and also the Garcia Band, although they did slightly different arrangements. Jerry's tended to be a bit funkier with a slower groove (the 12/31/75 version is an extreme example of this, 6/16/82 is a bit more common) and Bobby tended to do a smoother, rocked out version. The Dead did it twice, Bobby style, on the 1986 spring tour, opening the show with it on 3/21/86 and as the second song on 3/31/86.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By iannai (Mule) (12.22.240.77) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 10:26 am: Edit Post

One thing during Terrapin...no make that two...there seemed to be new arrangements for the transitions between Lady w/a Fan, Inspiration, etc...really crazy time signature changes...then on the Terrapin chorus, as the audience was singing..Phil busted out with a vocal "round" which found both audience and Phil coming together on "...and the whistle was screaming...TERRAPIN!!!"

The Roadrunner was really cool...I know this wasn't a JGB original...but I wish Warren would do more like it...vocally and emotionally he pulled it off like a champ.

The other main stand-out for me was the millenium jam>the eleven...Jimmy's playing never ceases to amaze me, and was he ever feeling it and stepping out front all night.

One last thing to mention, and I apologize for the rambling unorganized review, but it's 6:00am on Monday morning and I haven't had enough coffee yet...I have been to A LOT of Warfield shows...and I have never seen such a scene in trying to get in...the line at 7:45 (doors at 8:00?) must have streched 10 blocks...we didn't get in until 8:30...show didn't start (thankfully) until after that, but still a real mess getting in. Do that many people really bring weapons or bottles of JD/whatever in with them? Securtiy had no problem with pipes and accessories though. Then there was the fiasco which was the floor...it was hilarious watching the ushers trying to turn people around as they walked into the floor area..."turn around, we're all full, there's no more room!!" they would shout. What the hell people, you want us to watch the show from the freakin' hallway?! Needless to say , the floor was really oversold...once I finally found some friends with a spot I was ok, but for many it was a constant game of "you can't stand there...move!"

Overall, I'd say it was a highly energetic, well played show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JC (Jerrycurl) (207.162.130.56) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 10:47 am: Edit Post

From: Greg Schwartz
Subject: More on the Stellar Warfield Shows

sat was much fun also... Friday still glows as well...

last night's 1st set was not as strong overall as Fridays... however, Broken
Arrow sounded very sweet... i like No more Do I a lot, and the Rider just
ripped, it has such a phat groove now, the whole place was bouncing for
that... 2nd set was very kind, Walrus had the place getting very
psychedelic... Millennium jam was great... i didn't know it was a previously
formed jam... it sounded a lot like they were going into Scarlet, and then
it would change... then i thought Fire, then Scarlet again, but finally
into the Eleven, which was super jammed! the slow song after was not too
thrilling, but then the Caution jam got things going again, and the Terrapin
was just da Bomb! the energy level was outta sight, Warfield was really
rocking, even all the ushers were shaking their bones at this point...

Lovelight totally smoked too, w/ Warren rekindling Pigpen in a way Bobby
never could... Warren just comes from that same musical stock as Pig...
Libert double encore was cool, hadn't heard that song in a long while...

both shows were great fun, 2002 is going to be a big year for the PLQ!
Siriusly,
Stardog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thom Nelson (Murugan) (63.193.120.53) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 11:19 am: Edit Post

I forgot the Terrapin in my review!! This was stellar, the first time I'd heard P&F do this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carlalderete (Carl) (63.28.138.249) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:52 pm: Edit Post

Terrapin was soft at first but it was building up....Warren was doing a great job bringing that BIG HEAVY WHA WHA...while Herring was just rolling with melodic speed to this cresendo and then back to the sweet soft sound of Terrapin.....Just some amazing fret work by those two.What a pair of two different styles of play to make it so interesting to hear..........Phil was no slouch,he also was impresive on the fret board...What a great band....Terrapin was the highlight of the evening for me.........Hey Steve keep on writing......hope you make to the Greek Runs!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 024 (Deadicatedmamma) (24.216.41.194) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 01:45 pm: Edit Post

Look out for hot Scarlet-Fire in the near future! The set lists look wonderful!

>>>once I finally found some friends with a spot I was ok, but for many it was a constant game of "you can't stand there...move!"

Tag w/ security, can sure interfere w/ the groove!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD (Drunkeneagle) (66.81.129.78) on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 09:46 pm: Edit Post

we were sitting in the upper balcony for this night, which was plenty cool, except when some coolio dreado types stood right behind our heads in the aisle (midway through the 2nd set) and this dude's dumbass cell phone kept going off, that and the fact that when we would sit in our seats, dude and his "mama" were so close to the backs of our heads, it was obscene. turn off the phone dude-o smello and back up. man, some people are fucking obnoxious. anyway, it took a long time to get in, but im glad we had seats. whats the fun in getting stepped on and pushed around all night on a way overcrowded floor? anyway, long time to get in.

i liked hearing pride of cucamunga. man, that's a great tune. they do it really well. broken arrow was cool too, and rider, but by the time walrus came around i was like "cover city", might as well cover a dead song. yeah, yeah "the dead played a lot of covers"... but man oh man we already got a healthy dish out with arrow, rider, and that roadrunner song...that one's like mustang sally at at a wedding reception.

anyway, once again this show had lots of jamming and some really hot moments. overall, i like this band alot. high points: cucamunga, 11, caution. caution was fat. i'm not so into liberty but it sounded pretty good. i never got into it when the dead did it. its okay, better than black muddy river or knockin on heavens door to close the show i guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Whitetooth Johnson (Whitey) (24.48.255.51) on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 08:37 pm: Edit Post

I will make this one short. I was still blown away by the previous nights show. So it was going to be hard not to compare, But. The opener Casey Jones was way up beat and the 8 shots of espresso were agreeing with me. Pride of Cucamonga was mint. Roadrunner I liked, Broken Arrow was great reminds me of the Dead days, No more do I was pretty cool as well and I know you rider was a bit more mellower than I am use to still love hearing it. I think just had to much espresso and my mind was all over the place. Live and Learn. 2nd set Walrus >Jam>Eleven was very nice and done well Again and Again I can't remember right now as I right and Terrapin (Carl I would have to agree with you) That was the highlight for me. And Warren and Jimmy going back and forth is just so great to watch and listen. Cauiton with words was interesting and Love Light, Warren is the man. Aiko was cool to see and Liberty what a great way to end the weekend. Thank GOD we live in the USA and have the privelage to see Music played so well and to have Phil keepin the Love going. Thank you California and Phil and the boys for putting on a great Easter weekend.
I hope to make it out there for The Greek and Frost we shall see. I am already thinking of how.
It was nice to meet you zoners as well. Lord Henry thanks for the freebie 11/30/01 sounds great. Carl it was nice to meet you and hopefully we will meet again. Peace

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scroto (Scroto) (152.163.195.196) on Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 12:12 pm: Edit Post

I hadn't been swept up in a show like Saturday night for some time. Not much to add on previous comments, except to say that the show seemed short - then again, I'm not sure that I was the best judge of time on Saturday night. Great crowd - well worth the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc (Marc) (80.134.17.170) on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 02:41 am: Edit Post

Like a Shakespearian drama.
Act II
As i already mentioned in my review of friday’s show, I saw 5 shows (Warfield, Phillmore and the first Vail show). Somehow this was the show before the drama’s highpoint in Act (show) III.
It means that this show was a whole lot better than Friday’s tour warm-up.
First sign was the never too close and never too far away intro jam into Pride. Those minutes before the lyrics were marvellous. Good sign. The rest of the set was pretty good. The closer IKYR was hot but not as JC wrote: it ripped. JC, you should listen to the one from Jones Beach 07/26/01. THAT one ripped. I got the proof on CD, if you like.
Highlights in Set II were the triad of Walrus->Jam->Eleven AND Terrapin. Terrapin was by far the best Phil vocal I heard in a long time. the jamming was appropriate. Others around me agreed. Caution was a surprise. But please listen to the one from Vail. The triplet of Caution->H2H->Viola was from a different world. That one was hot as hell! Bucky style.
A lot of people praise Warren and Jimmy’s playing (I am Jimmy fan). I hardly heard him playing lead at the warfield. Last summer’s Hartford show is the, as Bucky says “King of the hill”, considering the guitar interplay. Turn it up and play more lead, Jimmy!

@Jannai
A few words about the packed floor:
It was packed! A few kind dancing people around me connected and build a kind of dancing net where others could not intrude. It worked well.

There’ll be more reviews about phillmore and vail shows. I know I am late but I just returned from my US holidays (back to Germany).
Marc